who was believed to have been born in Adelaide, South Australia, is noted as
being a member of the Fitzroy City Council serving a term as Mayor in the
roaring 1880s “and was one of nine councillors who took place in the
ceremony of laying the foundation at the main entrance of the Fitzroy Town
Hall by Cr. G. Clauscen, then Mayor in 1887”. An active member of the Old
Pioneers’ Association, Gadd “was widely known in the metropolis as an active
worker in support of progressive movements”. His wife Henrietta predeceased
him on his death on 26 June 1932; representatives from the Fitzroy City
Council attended his funeral service held at St. Mary’s Church, Camberwell.
In “Victoria and its Metropolis: Past and Present”, a brief entry
reveals the “firm of auctioneers and house, land, and estate agents,
consists of Messrs. W. S. Gadd and J. A. Ross. Their business is carried on
at 18 Market Buildings, Collins-street west, and at 375 Brunswick-street,
Fitzroy”. His wife Henrietta (d 1921) predeceased him.
stone, former Fitzroy Municipal Town Hall (2004)
(above) Monumental Headstone