Charles du Plan Lloyd was the
son of John Charles Lloyd (b 1824) who established the firm of “John C.
Lloyd & Co”, insurance brokers of Royal Exchange; a brother, H. Cairns Lloyd
became a doctor. Upon his father’s death, Lloyd took over control of the
firm, floated the company into a limited company, “and under his guidance,
it has become one of the foremost of its kind in Australia”. As keen
breeder, he owned of the Glen Iris Stud Farm at Narre Warren “from which
came the winners of many prize awards in the Jersey cattle section of
agricultural shows. He attained the reputation of being one of the foremost
breeders of this type of cattle in the whole Commonwealth, and his advice
was frequently sought by and freely given to breeders”. President of the
Australasian Jersey Herds Society, Lloyd had many varied interests including
the Metropolitan Hospitals Association, Melbourne Benevolent Asylum
(Cheltenham), and the Insurance Brokers’ Institute of Australia of which he
served as President. Locally, he served as Shire President (1893-95, 1899)
and Mayor (1901-03, 1906-07) and Acting Mayor (1903-04) following in his
father’s footsteps as a councillor where his “clarity of purpose, reasonable
nature and firm but discreet chairmanship served the Council well”. A
member of the Australian Club and “one of the oldest members” of the Royal
Melbourne Golf Club, Lloyd died on 13 March 1937 aged 74.
The Argus 15 & 16 March 1937.
The Herald 15 March 1937.
Murray, P & Wells, J., “From sand, swamp and
heath…A History of Caulfield” (1980).
[ Previous ] [ Next ]